Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Uncle Wiggily

When we lived in Georgia when I was in elementary school, my dad used to come home from the air force base every day for lunch. On days when our school had a day off but my dad worked, my sister and I would have lunch with him, and he always ate the same thing: a sandwich my mother made, maybe a few chips, a few pieces of sliced apple, maybe a brownie or a cookie if there were any.

And when he left to go back to work, Dad would say something like, "As Uncle Wiggily would say: If the wheels don't fall off the wagon, and the frost doesn't make the pumpkins in the pumpkin patch roll down the hill and out into the road, and the bear doesn't chase me over the mountain, I'll be home for supper." If he forgot an Uncle Wiggily statement on his way out, my sister and I would loudly remind him to make one up for us.

According to The Writer's Almanac, today is the birthday of the author of the Uncle Wiggily stories, Howard R. Garis, born in Binghamton, New York in 1873. I don't remember reading those stories as a kid but my dad must have. The Writer's Almanac entry for Howard Garis explains, "Uncle Wiggily is a gentlemanly old rabbit who always wears a suit and a silk top hat."

No comments:

Post a Comment